“Getting your content and your message out there is so powerful, and video is the best way to do it.” Howard Zales
As times change, we experience new ways that we can use to reach out to the world and tell our stories. With the development of technology, more and more possibilities continue to be unveiled and with them, come both positives and challenges. Our guest today Howard Zales, has experienced both sides of the divide and says that video broadcasting is the way to go especially in the current age.
Howard Zales is an Emmy Award winning Camera Operator who turned his passion for television broadcasting into several entrepreneurial endeavors. Howie created HJZ Productions, Inc in the year 2000 to address the need for professional level sports crewing/staffing in the New York market. Under his leadership, HJZ Productions grew to a multi-million-dollar nationwide provider of top talent in the broadcasting field.
In 2019, Howie and his team founded Viridity Entertainment Services, Inc. (VES) which initially focused on staffing in non-union markets. With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in early 2020, they quickly pivoted to offering best in class, broadcast quality livestreams of professional sports shows and interviews, corporate interviews and meetings, and religious services. In addition, Howie took his love of the television production business and created The TV Sports Course, a hands-on training boot camp for the next generation of television crew professionals.
Howie is a graduate of the State University of New York at Plattsburgh’s Mass Communication program.
In today’s episode, Howie will talk more about how he was able to identify and pursue business opportunities in the media space. He will also provide insights into what having the best production tools, equipment, and spaces is all about.
Social Media Handles
LinkedIn Self: https://www.linkedin.com/in/howardzales/
LinkedIn Business: https://www.linkedin.com/company/hjzproductions/
- I started off my career as a camera operator, and worked for NBC Sports and the World Wrestling Entertainment for 25 years.
- It is important to me to kind of give back and help others, so I’m all about training the younger generation of people to coach and help them get into the business.
- I started HJZ Productions after I realized that there was a business opportunity in staffing sports and entertainment events, and we turned the business into a multimillion-dollar enterprise.
- The changes in the TV industry provided another opportunity for us to where we started a business to serve our clients, both with their remote crews and their and their local crews.
- Up until COVID, I was still shooting camera and our business HJZ Productions and Viridity Entertainment Services were going strong.
- I keep up on the industry and I educate myself a lot as an entrepreneur, because then if you stay stagnant, you’re not going to grow.
- In June, our first company HJZ Productions was hired by West Point to produce the graduation for the cadets and their families because their families can come because of COVID.
- My education started with the live streaming and I found ways to monetize the knowledge I had acquired through my business.
- Commercial Break
- When I was shooting camera, I met a lot of people and heard a ton of inspiring stories, and the live stream has just brought in a whole new horizon of what we’re capable of doing.
- In live streaming, you need to invest in fast speed and reliable internet.
- You also want to invest in a good microphone such as Yeti blues.
- Your cameras are also important, and you want to be able to control the focus rather than having the autofocus on.
- Good lighting is also important, making sure that you have light on either side of you, and one above the head from the back side.
- Be sure to turn your Wi Fi off when using Ethernet because your computer will use Wi fi first if it is set on position
- Getting your content and your message out there is so powerful, and video is the best way to do it.
Thank you to our March Sponsor! Shock Your Media Potential is one of a kind platform that connects vetted experts with news professionals around the globe.
Do you want to be a go to expert that news reporters, anchors and media producers turn to? Are you a media professional looking for credible, reliable and timely guests? Shock your media potential is here for you.
We have interviewed 25 media personalities and professional to ask them the questions you need to know the answers to in order to become more newsworthy, pitch your story better, and get invited back again and again, and much more. Some of our guests are household names, with exceptional on-camera careers. Others are award-winning directors, producers, camera operators, audio engineers, celebrity hair and makeup professionals, and so much more.
As a part of our launch celebration, you can participate for free in our Shock Your Media Potential virtual conference, running March 28th through April 1st, together with my co-host, Eddie Luisi
To learn more about our platform and our conference today, go to https://www.shockyourmediapotential.com.